Sunday, October 10, 2010

Australian Tourism Industry suffers as our dollar climbs

With the rise of the Aussie dollar against the green back it's a great time to buy stuff online from overseas and of course to holiday overseas! There's certainly some bargains to be had. Now that's all well and good but what typically happens in this situation is that less people are spending their holiday dollars at home which places our tourism industry in deficit. Now I am being hypocritical as we leave for Thailand in a matter of hours but in my defense we are heading over for our besties wedding and to celebrate my mum's 60th.

We travelled Australia before ever going elsewhere and we still have plenty of Aussie travel to do and I can't wait! No fear of terrorism or tsunamis, no toddlers on planes, no trying to work out language and currency, no driving through crazy traffic without a baby seat!

Now don't get me wrong, I am all for cultural experiences and travel of any kind. I am excited about riding an elephant, and seeing my 12 year olds' reaction to the Thai culture, and visiting giant Buddha temples. But Family Road Trip Australia is all about encouraging and inspiring other families to jump in the car and explore the diversity that is Australia! I also don't like to hear that our tourism industry is anything less than cranking as the repercussions are complex and far reaching.

So I say start planning that trip around Australia! Save your money and then put it back into our economy. If you like the tropics head to Cairns or Darwin or Broome... and ride a camel instead...

1 comment :

  1. The impact of a strong dollar could negate all the different industry improvements,especially the tourism market.

    ReplyDelete