Sunday, January 16, 2011

Crying a Flood of Tears

I bawled my eyes out this morning reading the stories about those who have survived the floods and those who haven't. Sitting over here in hot, dry Perth it all seems a bit surreal, like watching the terrible aftermath of a natural disaster in Thailand or New Orleans or Haiti....always somewhere else. The difference is I have travelled around this beautiful country and I have visited many of the affected towns in Victoria, NSW and Qld and Carnarvon in WA. This is Australia, my country and my people, and the sadness and helplessness I feel keeps literally reducing me to tears.
I would offer my home and my clean up hands if I could but it seems in WA I am restricted to making a donation and watching the images unfold on my TV with one hand over my mouth.


My heart goes out to all those who have lost loved ones, homes, pets, businesses, crops, cars...
and also to all the travellers in those areas who thought they were just passing through...

No comments :

Post a Comment